Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
77 percent of Californians Support Jerry Brown's School Funding Plan: Here Are Three Big Ideas to Make it BetterJune 4, 2013, 11:58am
Three Reasons Governor Brown’s School Funding Plan is Better than the Status Quo and Three Big Ideas to Make the Plan Even BetterMay 31, 2013
Governor Brown’s school finance plan for California is a step in the right direction: it simplifies school funding, gives school districts more autonomy, and focuses new resources on disadvantaged students. But the plan would be even better if it distributed weighted funding for disadvantaged students directly to schools on a per pupil basis, authorized school principals to spend that money as they saw fit, and introduced a modern school-level financial reporting system to ensure transparency and accountability.
The governor's education reforms are good steps, but need to go furtherMay 15, 2013
Democratic lawmakers in Colorado just approved the first major overhaul of that state’s school finance system in 20 years. Colorado is moving to a more equitable and transparent funding system with strong accountability provisions that offer valuable lessons to California lawmakers.
Gov. Brown’s recently proposed “Local Control Funding Formula” would simplify school finance, offer school districts flexibility over more than 50 previously restricted funding streams, and provide more resources for disadvantaged students. Gov. Brown deserves credit — the proposal is a very good start. It is simpler, fairer, and more transparent than the state’s current haphazard school finance system.
Yet, there are serious issues the governor’s plan fails to address, including inequities at schools within the same district and a lack of transparent reporting of funding allocations at the school level.
The rollout of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013 continues today with the release of the Education section, which which provides an overview of the latest on school choice, charter schools, student-based budgeting and more.
Subsection of Annual Privatization Report 2013: EducationApril 29, 2013
This subsection of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013: Education reviews developments over the last year in school choice.
View Resources by Type
- 77 percent of Californians Support Jerry Brown's School Funding Plan: Here Are Three Big Ideas to Make it Better
June 4, 2013, 11:58am
- New at Reason: Looking Back at the Last Year in Education Reform and School Choice
April 29, 2013, 9:00am
- Chicago Schools to Implement Student-Based Budgeting and Principal Autonomy
March 18, 2013, 4:45pm
- Utah Needs "Backpack" Funding
March 4, 2013, 1:27pm
- A Sea Change for School Funding in America
October 21, 2011, 12:49pm
- New Orleans: Most Market-Driven School District in Nation Increases Test Scores Again
May 26, 2011, 3:31pm
- Student-Based Budgeting One Possible Upside to $578 Million Los Angeles High School
September 13, 2010, 10:45am
- Louisiana School Choice News
December 4, 2009, 3:41pm
- For Real Equity: Give Schools the Money Instead of Staffing Positions
November 13, 2009, 12:18pm
- "Money Following the Child" Working in Baltimore
October 21, 2009, 11:49pm
- Denver School Closures Improve Outcomes for Students
September 24, 2009, 4:00pm
- In New Orleans School Choice and Autonomy Drive School Improvement
September 16, 2009, 10:33am
- California School Districts on the Brink
July 23, 2009, 12:49pm
- The Great Charter School Debate
June 10, 2009, 7:02pm
- New Jersey Supreme Court Backs Statewide Student-Based Budgeting
May 29, 2009, 10:55am
- Reason Foundation's New Weighted Student Formula Yearbook
April 30, 2009, 3:00pm
- Unions Will Not Negotiate: LA Unified Lays Off 5,000
April 15, 2009, 12:33pm
- Secretary Arne Duncan Advocates Mayor Control of Schools
April 2, 2009, 1:23pm
- Under Stimulus Rich School Districts Get Richer
March 23, 2009, 5:37pm
- President Obama Visits Model School Choice Program in Los Angeles
March 19, 2009, 6:09pm
- 77 percent of Californians Support Jerry Brown's School Funding Plan: Here Are Three Big Ideas to Make it Better (6/4)
- Weighted Student Funding for California (5/31)
- Lessons for Gov. Brown’s California School Finance Plan (5/15)
- New at Reason: Looking Back at the Last Year in Education Reform and School Choice (4/29)
- Weighted Student Formula in the States (4/29)
Experts: Weighted Student Formula
- Lisa Snell
Director of Education
RSS Feeds: Weighted Student Formula
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.