Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Bill would destroy private preschool market, cut school choice, and expand teachers' unionsFebruary 3, 2014
Forget California's $30 billion "wall of debt," hundreds of billions of dollars in unfunded pension and retiree health care liabilities, and the state's 8.3 percent unemployment rate. Of all the issues confronting California, state Senate President pro Tempore Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, believes his highest priority is to create "transitional kindergarten," a pre-kindergarten grade level for 4-year-olds.The bill is really a back-door route toward taxpayer-funded universal preschool that would soon cost California taxpayers at least $1 billion per year, destroy the diverse private preschool market, strip parents of school choices and jeopardize the jobs of many low- and middle-income workers in the child-care industry.
A Government Accountabity Office investigation found that many Head Start Centers fraudulently enroll extra children.
Head Start preschool programs in Georgia and across the country are spending federal economic stimulus dollars on raises for their employees, some as high as 8.5 percent, public records show.
Oklahoma has the highest quality universal preschool system in the nation. Yet,the NAEP State Profile of Oklahoma shows once again that the state's huge investment in universal preschool is not improving student achievement in 4th grade reading. It is still lower now than before universal preschool was implemented; Oklahoma scores are below the national average; and UPK in Oklahoma has not closed the achievement gap between groups of students.
View Resources by Type
- New John Stossel Special: No They Can't! Why Government Fails But Individuals Succeed
April 6, 2012, 2:12pm
- NBC "Education Nation" Perpetuates Preschool Access Myth
September 27, 2010, 4:08pm
- Head Start Fail: Enrollment Fraud Edition
May 21, 2010, 1:35pm
- Public Sector Employees are Killing the Economy: Head Start Edition
April 1, 2010, 5:19pm
- Oklahoma Universal Preschool Fail: 2009 NAEP Reading Edition
March 24, 2010, 1:46pm
- What Universal Kindergarten Tells Us About Universal Preschool
March 3, 2010, 1:55pm
- Fake Spending Freeze: Head Start Edition
February 3, 2010, 1:05pm
- Head Start Fail: Federal Preschool Program Does Not Give Kids Leg Up
January 15, 2010, 2:58pm
- Preschool Hype: National Security Edition
November 2, 2009, 2:05pm
- Ayn Rand Preschool Action with Barack Obama, Preschool Advocates as Comprachicos, and "Maggie Roark" Standing Alone Against the Daycare Worker of Her Time...
November 2, 2009, 12:39pm
- Tennessee's Gold-Standard Preschool Not Effective After 2nd Grade
November 1, 2009, 11:44pm
- Lower Standards in Schools: Preschool Edition
October 30, 2009, 3:23pm
- Slow the Preschool Bandwagon
May 15, 2009, 3:31pm
- Recession Stalls State-Funded Pre-kindergarten
April 8, 2009, 12:22pm
- Differences Between Obama's Education Speech And His Adminstration's Actions
March 18, 2009, 6:30pm
- House Democrats Seek to End DC Voucher Program
March 3, 2009, 9:11am
- California Tries Backdoor Route to Universal Preschool (2/3)
- New John Stossel Special: No They Can't! Why Government Fails But Individuals Succeed (4/6)
- NBC "Education Nation" Perpetuates Preschool Access Myth (9/27)
- Head Start Fail: Enrollment Fraud Edition (5/21)
- Public Sector Employees are Killing the Economy: Head Start Edition (4/1)
Experts: Universal Preschool
- Lisa Snell
Director of Education
RSS Feeds: Universal Preschool
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.