Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
Recent Research and Commentary
Subsection of Annual Privatization Report 2013: Local Government PrivatizationMay 6, 2013
This subsection of Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report 2013: Local Government Privatization reviews failing attempts to implement municipal broadband.
Privatization trends in local, state and federal government, plus roads, highways, aviation, education, telecom and moreApril 1, 2013
Now in its 26th year of publication, Reason Foundation's Annual Privatization Report is the world's longest running and most comprehensive report on privatization news, developments and trends.
Annual Privatization Report 2013 (APR 2013) details the latest on privatization and government reform initiatives at all levels of government. The individual sections, which will be released in the weeks ahead, include:
- Air Transportation
- Surface Transportation
- Federal Government Privatization
- State Government Privatization
- Local Government Privatization
- Criminal Justice and Corrections
Funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), commonly known as the $787-billion stimulus enacted in 2009, financed public broadband buildouts in areas already served by commercial service providers.
According to an AP story out of Buffalo, N.Y., federal agents armed with assault weapons stormed a residence in the early morning hours last month looking for child porn on a home PC. The homeowner, whom the article did not identify, was roughed up and forced to the floor at gunpoint while agents accused him of being a creep and pervert.
Telecommunications Chapter of Annual Privatization Report 2010February 25, 2011
- IT outsourcing in state governments,
- Cloud computing and the future of IT outsourcing,
- the national Network Neutrality debate, and
- an analysis of the FCC's new National Broadband Plan.
View Resources by Type
- ANALYSIS: Despite Glossy Reports, Muni Broadband is Still a Net Money Loser
Subsection of Annual Privatization Report 2013: Local Government Privatization
May 6, 2013
- Making Sure the Broadband Stimulus Money Isn't Wasted
How to find the areas not being served, and unlikely to get high-speed Internet services
March 20, 2009
- Don't Panic! Fiber Is Coming
High-speed Internet connections are coming to your town
April 29, 2008
- Municipal Broadband Fails - Again
Provo, Utah, shows how government's "good" intentions end up costing taxpayers millions
January 28, 2008
- Villaraigosa Should Ask If a WiFi Plan Is Really Necessary
Los Angeles should follow Anaheim's broadband plan
March 12, 2007
- The Citywide Wireless Network That Never Was
San Francisco will be last to citywide wireless at this rate
September 26, 2006
- Timeline of Municipal Broadband and Technological Developments
How private sector technology and government-run Internet and WiFi have evolved since 1989
Steven Titch and Adrian Moore
April 18, 2006
- Signal Strength Excellent; Priorities Lousy
New Orleans has more important needs than free wi-fi
December 1, 2005
- Life, Liberty and Wi-Fi in San Francisco
City's enthusiasm is no substitute for expertise
October 18, 2005
Experts: Municipal Broadband and WiFi
- Adrian Moore
Vice President, Policy
- Steven Titch
RSS Feeds: Municipal Broadband and WiFi
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.