Get weekly updates from Reason.
Today's Top Topics
- Constitutional Refuseniks
Stewart Rhodes on his controversial group the Oath Keepers and the orders they won't obey
April 11, 2011
- Failing Upward in Criminal Justice
The prosecutor who wrongly put a paraplegic in prison wants to be a judge.
March 22, 2011
- How Drug Cops Go Bad
We shouldn't be surprised when the police officers we ask to break the laws they enforce turn corrupt.
March 21, 2011
- End the Drug War, Save Black America
Why drug legalization is a civil rights issue
March 17, 2011
- Mitch Daniels' Pot Luck
The Indiana governor's escape from prison taught him the importance of being tough on drug users.
March 2, 2011
- The Mind of a Police Dog
How misconceptions about dogs can lead to abuse of humans
February 21, 2011
- The Man’s Best Friend
Drug dogs sniff at the Fourth Amendment
February 17, 2011
- What’s the Matter with Provincetown?
The Democrats’ two years of control delivered zero social liberalism.
February 1, 2011
- Government Pills
I'm from the government and I'm here to help with new drug discovery
January 25, 2011
- A Beating in Pittsburgh
A year after three cops beat an unarmed music student, they are still getting paid to do nothing.
January 24, 2011
- Just a Matter of When?
Legalizing marijuana has failed in California. But even in defeat, Proposition 19 might mark the beginning of the end for prohibition.
January 18, 2011
- Justice for Sal
After five years, the family of a Virginia optometrist killed by a SWAT team finally gets some closure.
January 17, 2011
- When Booze Was Banned but Pot Was Not
What can today’s antiprohibitionists learn from their predecessors?
January 13, 2011
- Follow the Bouncing Buck
The year's highlights in blame shifting
December 29, 2010
- Beyond Bars
A new project has conservatives thinking more seriously about crime.
December 20, 2010
- The SWAT Team Would Like to See Your Alcohol Permit
How police use regulatory inspections to conduct warrantless searches
December 13, 2010
- Chilling Her Softly
The secret silencing of a pain treatment activist
November 17, 2010
- “It’s No Longer a Matter of If, It’s a Matter of When”
Staying high on marijuana legalization after the defeat of Proposition 19
November 5, 2010
- The Media Aren't Liberal
Prop. 19 highlights the authoritarian tendencies of the mainstream press.
November 1, 2010
- More Democracy, More Incarceration
The devastating mix of politics and crime policy
October 25, 2010
- The Amazing Elastic Commerce Clause
The individual health insurance mandate tugs on an overstretched federal power.
October 20, 2010
- America's Most Successful Stop Snitchin' Campaign
The failure to protect whistle-blowing cops is inexcusable.
October 18, 2010
- Are Sin Taxes on Marijuana a Price Worth Paying for Reform?
October 13, 2010, 9:00am
- How to Profit by Expanding Freedom
The case for drug legalization
October 11, 2010
- The Politics of Proposition 19
Marijuana legalization hits the big time
October 7, 2010
- Pot Prohibitionist Prevarications
Five whoppers told by opponents of California's marijuana legalization initiative
October 6, 2010
- How to Slash the State
14 ways to dismantle a monstrous government, one program at a time
October 5, 2010
- Waiting for the Man
The long road to marijuana legalization
September 29, 2010
- Federalism and Medical Marijuana
Let the states serve as experimental laboratories.
September 24, 2010
- Needs More RAM
Another drug raid gone bad
August 31, 2010
- The Government's License To Steal
Indiana's laws prohibiting police departments from enriching themselves via asset forfeiture would be much more effective if they weren't ignored.
August 16, 2010
- Why Buy the Cow?
Legal weed, jokes about communists, and the perils of purchasing your own milk maker.
August 13, 2010
- These Buds Are for You
Legal marijuana would be a boon for California consumers.
July 28, 2010
- Police Blackout
Law enforcement agencies in Northern Virginia say you have no right to know what they’re doing.
June 29, 2010
- Confirmation Theater
Elena Kagan is set to participate in a confirmation process she once dismissed as a charade
June 28, 2010
- Another Marylander Arrested for Recording the Police
According to state officials, only on-duty cops have a privacy right in public spaces.
June 21, 2010
- End the Drug War
Government goes astray when it tries to protect us from ourselves.
June 17, 2010
- Lessons from the Death of Aiyana Stanley-Jones
How aggressive SWAT tactics contributed to the death of a 7-year-old Detroit girl.
May 24, 2010
- Pre-Crime Policing
Allegedly “disgruntled” man has his guns seized, and “voluntarily” surrenders to two SWAT teams and dozens of police officers for a crime that hadn’t been committed
May 19, 2010
- A Drug Raid Goes Viral
A violent drug raid posted to YouTube catches fire online. But the only thing unusual about the raid is that it was caught on video.
May 11, 2010
- Gin, Girls, and Governance
Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman on personal freedom, free speech, and the state
May 10, 2010
- Los Angeles Destroys Functioning Businesses in a Recession
But that’s OK with the city—those businesses are selling medical marijuana
May 6, 2010
- Watching the Detectives
A nebulous "right" to videotape on-duty cops isn't enough. The right needs to be enforced.
April 26, 2010
- Hash Bash
Scenes from the 2010 International Cannabis and Hemp Expo
April 20, 2010
- L.A.’s Pot Revolution
How Los Angeles became the “wild West” of medical marijuana—and lived to tell the tale
April 12, 2010
- Smoke a Joint, Lose Your Country
Rigid deportation rules make a mockery of justice.
April 7, 2010
- In the Drug War, Drugs Are Winning
The case for legalizing marijuana
March 29, 2010
- CA Will Vote on Legalizing Marijuana
March 27, 2010, 4:41pm
- Another Senseless Drug War Death
Stunning developments in the 2009 police shooting of Georgia pastor Jonathan Ayers
March 23, 2010
- Death in Juarez
The bloody consequences of America's pharmacological intolerance
March 17, 2010
- 40th Anniversary of the Rockefeller Drug Laws: Time to Re-think Sentencing Policy (5/8)
- New at Reason: Privatization Developments in Criminal Justice and Corrections (5/6)
- Colorado, Washington State Vote to Tax and Regulate Recreational Marijuana for Adults (5/6)
- Developments in Criminal Justice and Corrections (5/6)
- Reason’s First Feature-Length Documentary: “America’s Longest War” (3/25)
- Brian Doherty
- Nick Gillespie
Editor in Chief, Reason.com and Reason TV
- Jacob Sullum
Media ContactChris Mitchell
Director of Communications
Your tax-deductible gift can help us promote individual liberty, choice, and free minds and free markets.